Tuesday 22 June 2010

Our holiday in America!

So as many of you know in Australia (or England...and probably other parts of the UK) if you do anything other than work everyone calls it your holiday. You don't got on a trip or take time off you go on HOLIDAY. So this post is about our recent holiday in America, otherwise known as home sweet home!

I could talk for about 2 hours just about the trip but all you need to know are the following bullet points followed by too many pictures!
  • The flight from Australia to America is a little over 14 hours (that's just to California).
  • Thomas and I got a row of 4 to ourselves and he slept the whole way!--can I say BINGO?
  • From California we flew to SLC Utah where my Dad picked Thomas and I up where we stayed overnight at his house and then drove 8 hours up to Montana.
  • When we got to Montana, I got about 4 hours of sleep and then ran a 5K with my siblings...my time was 30:11 which was great considering the altitude change and jet lag.
  • The next day was my sisters graduation--last kid out of the house GO TENILLE
  • The next day was my mom's wedding reception...classy country was the theme...isn't that an oxymoron? Here is the pix of the new bride and groom and their grand kids!
  • The following day/ Tuesday was my mom's wedding (in Idaho so we drove another 3 hours south).
  • My grandparents with my kids, this was their first time meeting Thomas!
  • Sarah Cabrera (one of my YW from Great falls, VA-bbsat my kids--cool hu!)
  • After the wedding we drove down to Utah (5 more hours south) where we stopped by to visit our close friends the Toskovitches and then drove further south where we stayed with Stan's Aunt and Uncle --They hung out with us in Oxford England (which was the last time we saw them so it was great fun catching up...Sorry for keeping you up so late! :-)

  • Thursday we found our good MBA friends and crashed for a morning. Mary was best friends with Millie while living in England and after we graduated their daughter came down with Leukemia. Honestly it broke my heart when I saw her!! On a positive note, she seems to be the only one without messy hair in this picture. Millie with Leukemia, Olivia who gave herself bangs, and Mary who never notices the fact that her hair is in her face!
  • After seeing our friends we went over to my Sister in-laws house (the Towers) where Stan got to hang out with some family and the cousins were able to run wild through Thanksgiving Point!
    Colter, Bridger, Olivia, Thomas, Sadie, Jackson, Mary
    Olivia learning to ride a bike....there are some disadvantages to living in an apartment on the water. The only sidewalk is on the water so I am not too keen on having her ride on it, in case she goes off!
Thomas and Sadie (a few months apart and their first time together)!
Thoma's first time on a horse...he waved the whole way
Mary and I petting the goats
  • Olivia and Mary were fighting over who gets to mary Jackson (their cousin) Jackson (being the peace maker) said he would mary both of them! Thanx Jax!
  • After visiting the Towers we stopped by our Sydneysider/ ex-pat friends (the Bennions) who headed back state-side! I know, now we are alone now. They came over to the US the same time we did so we let them borrow some suitcases and had to pick them up. Mary played with William for the last time :-( They were so cute together!! And congrats Amy and Don on the new house, we will miss you in Sydney!
  • From there Stan and I hit our Alma Mater (BYU) where we were lucky enough to grab a Jamba Juice and say hello to a few professors and then Stan went and played some golf while I took the kids to bridal veil falls!




Then we drove 6 hours South to Saint George to visit Stan's parents!

  • The Grandparents threw the kids an early birthday party (because seriously, who wants to mail gifts to Australia), went shopping at the outlets, swimming, saw a musical (Tarzan), had Sunday dinner more extended family (Stans other Aunt & Uncle and cousin with her kids), and almost adjusted to the USA time zone. Thank you so much, what fun we had!
    Thomas LOVES sharks so this was a really cool shirt!
Hiking in the rocks...I love the pictures




The Broadway musical Tarzan, was held in this outside arena against these red rocks, it was breathtaking!
Since Stan's parents are serving a mission for our Church in Utah we got the official tour...yes, that is Thomas climbing over the antique pews :-)
Stan sitting in his great great great great? granddad's rocking chair, you can see the resemblance when Stan has a frowny face!
  • From there we drove 6 more hours through Las Vegas and down to Anehiem where we did Disney Land for three days, the kids had a blast!

Mary and Ariel
Belle and the girls


Thomas utterly terrified :-)
Aroura (sp?) told Mary she had the perfect combination of purple and pink, Mary was delighted!
watching the parade

Thomas still terrified....
Cinderella and the girls...yes we saw a lot of princesses!
And the go-karts!

After a full day of Disney we got straight on a plane that night and flew back to Sydney. Jet lag is an understatement--cry!

Overall we hit 6 states in two weeks. We spent over 46.5 hours just sitting either on a plane or car. We did it in a 5 seater car with the kids car seats side to side and we averaged less than 4 hours of sleep a night (one night I got two hours of sleep --from 6-8am). Was it worth it? YES, it was so fun to see everyone and get the cousins together and make fun of mom's country themed wedding and run a 5K and stay up late playing mafia and see old friends! There was not enough time to see everyone and we literally squeezed every second we could to be with friends/ family! Maybe again in a few years hu?
  • Also: My little bro is staying with us for the summer (or our winter) while he interns with PwC...so far he has done the dishes every night and said he would bbs this weekend!!!!

  • Who wants to live with me next?!

16 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow what a trip! Looks like you had a fun and an exhausting time!!

Sidra said...

Oh! I am so sad we didn't connect to spend some time with you (whimper, whimper). I would have LOVED to hang out and you drove right by us in Layton! So sad! But it looks like you were packed. And it looks like an awesome vacay. Hopefully next time...

Harry and Suzanne said...

Amazing pictures, and what an adventure for you all. Making memories are so much fun! Thanks for sharing your wonderful time. We would like to live with you next! Love you all!

linda said...

FUN! I can't believe you did so much stuff in such a short time. I feel like if we go somewhere and do one big thing with the family, that's good. lol Glad you had a good holiday, it was fun seeing everyone.

Angela said...

Love the pictures, and that's so cool you got to see Sara Cabrera, she's one of my favorite people. And your kids are growing so fast. You look happy.

Harry and Suzanne said...

Grandpa said he was exhausted just reading what you all did in such a short time! Boy, you were quite ambitious! We keep looking at all the pictures taken on your trip; they make us happy. Lots of hugs and kisses are being sent your way!

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

You are my hero. I cannot believe that you packed all of that in! Seriously- you guys are amazing! We are going to Utah in 3 weeks and I have been gripping about driving down to Zion from Salt Lake. Its time for me to buck up and embrace road trips! I loved the pictures and are glad you guys had so much fun!

kathryn_swinton said...

looks like a blast. great pics. you mean you didn't want to drive 2more days to KS and see us?! (Hah!)

Danalisa said...

FABULOUS pics! I want your energy level!! haha I'm so impressed that you managed ALL that with three kids...you give me hope haha I do want to know what drugs you gave Thomas (who is sooo big now!) so that he would sleep for 14 hours straight! LOL

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness, I would have died! Seriously exhausting. I am so glad we were important enough for you to make a trip to see us. I really wish it could have been for longer and it breaks my heart that I don't know when I will see you and your kids again.

Your comment about Millie's hair cracked me up! I am so use to her being bald know that I don't even notice it, but I'm sure it's shocking to see for the 1st time.

I love that your brother is staying with you! I bet it's nice to have someone around to babysit and things. I wish I could live with you next! Do you want to take in a family of 4?

ps- your pictures in the rocks were beautiful.

Heidi said...

I'm tired just reading about your trip!! But score on getting a whole row on the flight over! Alicia why is it that you get more beautiful as time passes while the rest of just get all middle-age-y??! So not fair. =0)

Unknown said...

I am sooo sad i missed you. didn't even hit me you would be in utah...we live 10 minutes from thanksgiving point...next trip for sure!!!!

Eisha said...

Leslie, I called you twice and you didn't pick up my unrecognizable phone number. In addition your inbox was full so I couldn't leave a message. Can you believe you missed hanging out with a life long friend who lives in a foreign country all because your inbox was full? Cry!

Susan S said...

We were so happy to see photos of your amazing trip! And it was wonderful to visit with you in St. George. We are also so grateful for Olivia's health. You're amazing people and parents!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy we got to see you guys! I can't wait to see you again! Also, I am so glad things are going well with Olivia!

The Elledges said...

The picture of Thomas in the shark shirt reminds me so much of Jake for some reason. He is sure growing up.

You've got guts to pack so much into your trip... sounds EXHAUSTING!!! I was tired from our move and we only came from Ohio :)