Monday 18 October 2010

Mardi Gras!!!

This year for the girls birthday we had a Princess and the Frog/ Mardi Gras costume party (combined). We handed out beads at the door and had the kids decorate their own masks and then had a parade. We hit a pinata, had gumbo & benyas and cake (yes I made it--first time using fondant) and then finished by projecting Princess and the Frog onto a wall and eating popcorn. Well that was the plan...I thought it was a good idea until I handed out the Mardi Gras invitations only to have parents give me mixed responses. Turns out Mardi Gras is not a mascaraed/ party in Australia but instead a Gay Rights Parade; yes, I know a mature theme for a 5 & 7 year old birthday party. In addition, I accidentally invited all girls and one boy...named Bailey...I thought it was a girl name, and given the theme of the party the poor guy would have been surrounded by 20 princesses if I didn't act fast so I called up some mom's and asked them to bring their boys. The boys came but only to run around (like boys do) and one split his head open about 10 minutes into the party. Next year I am keeping it a girl party even if one boy comes!

The rest of the party was ok but in Australia parents tend not to drop off the kid and pick up in two hours-- they all camp out. One mom brought all her kids (4) and her mother in law and then I didn't have enough masks and party favors for everyone. When it was time to project the movie I was so excited except for two things (1) When I picked the time and sent out the invitations it was before day light savings. A week later all the clocks were moved forward and it was too light to see the screen in the club house (where we held the party) oops! and (2) I couldn't get the movie to work (think of 30 kids trying to sit in a chair longer than 5 minutes with nothing to look at). WHAT?! Note the whole party theme is after this movie and now it won't play!!! plus this was my chance to show the parents what USA Mardi gras is about.....ummmm! We had to default with Swan Princess and the kids were not interested, but who cares it took so long to get through everything else that we only had 30 minutes to watch the movie anyway....so I just let them watch until their parents came then cleaned up!

Aside from the bumps I think everyone had fun, and it was great to get a 2 for 1 deal with the girls birthdays so close together!
Happy birthday Olivia & Mary!

7 comments:

Harry and Suzanne said...

What a great theme for a party--Mardi Gras! From seeing all the pictures and reading about all you did seems as if everyone had a fantastic time! You are excellent parents. What beautiful memories you are making!!

~adelle said...

Oh no! What a crazy day. The mix-ups are hilarious. Great job just rolling with the punches. Way to funny. Happy birthday to the girls. What a great mom they have to go through all that for them. :)

The Francis Family said...

Eish you are so skinny!!! I just thought you should know. Plus it looks like your kids had a great time. Nice job on your cake and the decorations! Happy Birthday to the girls!!

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

You are one brave woman my friend! Of course, I have only had boy parties, and as you noted, they are INSANE when they get together! Somehow it always turns into wrestling.
Sorry that your movie didn't work out! I love The Princess and the Frog! I can't wait to get "How to Train Your Dragon" when I can.

billsblogs said...

Your girls are so big! what a fun idea for a party! from the looks of it, it was a success, despite the set backs. awesome job on the cake too!
miss you guys!

cambersue said...

How fun! Preslie would love that. Way to brave it and have them all in your house. You are awesome!

Kathy said...

That cake is so cute! What a fun party. Happy Birthday to your girls. :)