Sunday 14 November 2010

Pneumonia...

So the last 6 weeks I have had a terrible cough. It came on really suddenly and was so strong I would more or less loose my breath. In addition, my jaw is double jointed so when my coughing fit would get really bad my jaw would come out of joint--ouch! I was so tired I was taking naps throughout the day--which is rare.

I figured it would go away. So I pressed on taking a holiday in Melbourne for two weeks, pulling off a joint birthday party, Halloween, running the school uniform shop for school orientation for all the kindy parents (pretty much outfitting 40 new kids, ordering new uniforms and doing stock take etc...) dealing with a car accident (someone hit me) and I had to do all that insurance stuff and repairs and rental cars etc.. and of course playing tennis on Saturday mornings (my love)--even though we would have to frequently stop so I could cough etc... Then one day I hit a wall. I was flat on my back for three days. I couldn't breath and my neck had gone stiff/ numb. Soooooooo I finally went to the Doctor! He said I had pneumonia and that the infection was not only in both my lower lungs but also my upper lungs. It had gone on so long I had puss up one side of my neck which was pinching my nerves and also why I couldn't turn my head from side to side. (This was a problem while driving my rental car around post car accident).

The Dr. gave me some expensive but effective drugs and within 6 hours the puss had completely drained from my neck. Within two days I could breath again. Stan came back from Melbourne early that week (where he has been working for the last 6 months during the week--and home on the weekends). I felt bad because he had to pick up the house duties when he would come home from work. Basically I would be in bed by 6:00pm and he would get home at 8:00pm and the kids would be hungry and the house would be a mess. I was so tired I didn't take Olivia to school (there are no school buses out here so she just missed. ) I stayed in bed until Saturday. Then Sunday I got up. I am the Primary President and we have the primary program in two weeks :-) I ran primary for two hours and then came home and cried from exhaustion, slept and then cried again.

I have been better for a week now. I feel like I just got my feet underneath me and Stan's 30th birthday (first milestone) is in 5 days and the primary program is in 7 days and Thanksgiving is in 11 days. I am sad b/c the American society is not doing Thanksgiving this year and I wanted to just pay an entry fee and not have to do anything. I would dial 911 (or out here it is 000) for an emergency mom but my parents are divorced and both distant and my in-laws are serving a mission, so there is more or less no support from extended family even if I was living in the USA...which I am not :-)

7 comments:

Harry and Suzanne said...

Dearest Alisha, You are in our prayers. Sure wish we were there to help you, or you here. Even as adults, when we are sick and low, we want our Mom, we want our Dad. Wish this was a Star Trek movie so we could be whisked right over there to help you. Please hang in there dear heart, and this, too, will pass, and you'll feel better soon. We love you! Gr'pa and Gr'ma Tengelsen

Thora said...

I'm sorry! I had pneumonia last month, and it stunk. My MIL did come and take care of us (we also moved a couple weeks afterwards). I'm glad that you're doing better now, especially with everything coming up. I think when the Mom's down the whole house grinds to a halt and it's horrible.

Danalisa said...

sending you love and prayers!! I know how hard it is to be away from family/support when sick. Esp hard with Stan working out of town all week...plus you take on a lot of great stuff outside of being a mom. I hope you are feeling a bit better. Hope the b-day and holidays are nice. Keep it simple! Big hugs!

sue swinton said...

Oh my goodness! I had no idea you were so-o-o-o SICK! I am so glad that you are feeling better now. Next time (Heaven forbid!), go to the doctor sooner. I have never had pneumonia, but I know it is the pits! Let us know and we can at least pray harder for you (We do pray for you every day.) After all, we are missionaries you know. So sorry I couldn't help. I love you and think you are a great Mom - even doing Halloween in Australia and running the Primary besides. Take care of yourself! You are the best! XOXO

Amanda said...

Eisha my dear, I am sending you a package tomorrow. What is your address? Please email it to me! I can not believe you do everything you do, let alone being that sick! You are a super woman! If you were in Utah you would have a whole RS surrounding you with help, including me! (food for thought, MOVE TO UTAH!). On a serious note, I love you and I wish I had known you were so sick. Maybe I could have talked Brady into letting me come help. :) I'm so glad you are doing a little better now. You'll be in our prayers.

~adelle said...

OH MAN. That is awful. I am so sorry girlie. I hope you continue to get better ASAP. Mom's don't get breaks....even when they are sick. Everyone needs them too much. You are amazing to do all the things you do.

The Francis Family said...

I wish you could come here for Thanksgiving! Maybe you could just have waffles for dinner?!! That sounds good to me! If I were there I'd make you soup in bed and make you stay there. Good luck with the program. The kids will look cute and do great and their parents will love it. Try not to stress about it. I love you!