Friday 30 August 2013

NYC!

Where do I start? This was our families first time in NYC, I think Stan is the only one who had been there before, (yes, Stan and I lived in DC for three years before moving abroad and we never went to NYC). The kids were old enough to stay close and walk without being carried which made the whole trip really enjoyable. We stayed right in Times Square at the Westin. We were able to walk to just about everything we wanted to see. We were shocked with how cheap and huge everything was. For some reason I thought NYC was supposed to be expensive, but it was great!
Here we are walking the city!
Riding the subway!
Mary and daddy on the subway
 First stop, ground zero!
 It was really sad to see all the names of the people who had died, I can't imagine loosing a family member in such a horrific turn of events.
 My boys
 After Ground Zero, we decided to get a tour of the city via ferry boat, here the girls are listing to a street performer while they wait for the next boat.
 Olivia and the Brokenly bridge
 Lady Liberty
 Mary is Beautiful!
 Sadly we couldn't go up into the statue of liberty because she was closed for construction :(
 Mary having a hotdog, and some more walking....
 The NYC art museum
  Next stop the Empire State Building!
 Looking down at all the buildings in NYC (from the top of the Empire State Building) made Dubia feel even more empty than it felt when I was there. 
 Thomas getting a good view. I should probably tell him that machine needs some money :-)
And then out to a Broadway show!
 In attempts to keep the kids awake we went to the Broadway show, Spider Man- I LOVED IT! It was age appropriate for Thomas and still entertaining for adults. The Spider Man's swinging over the audience were cool. The stage props were all like giant bits from a comic book (including the pow signs) and they even had the villains come down to the audience, and spider webs fall on the audience. I loved it!
 The next day we took a tour of Central Park on a carriage ride.
 Yesterday we bought everyone I LOVE NYC shirts...so 3 of the 5 of us decided to wear them the next day.
  The park was bigger than I thought. I liked the tour and now I realize just how many movies are filmed in this big city.
 
 After the carriage ride, we walked down 5th avenue. The girls bought American Dolls from FAO Schwartz,
I went into Tiffany's for my first time. Stan told me to buy something ....but I "can't" by myself jewelry. I wanted to buy something, but there were so many people and it all looked the same to me. So far all my jewelry has a story and it would have been very cool to say my first time in NYC I got something from Tiffany's (since Tiffany's started in NYC). Unfortunately, Stan has to cod me into picking stuff out, which means we would have to bring the kids in the store. It worked ok at first. The lady gave little Tiffany bags to the American dolls. But then the kids started putting their faces on all the window boxes. Stan took them out, which meant I was ALONE in the store. So, when I am in a jewelry store alone I just don't like it, I can't do it. I stayed for a solid 45 minutes. Looked at every piece of jewelry on all 6 floors....and then walked out empty handed!

Later that night, Stan took Olivia to see Wicked on Broadway. She loved it!

2 comments:

btengelsen said...

fyi, NYC is way expensive by US standards! But apparently not by AUS standards.

btengelsen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.