Monday 13 April 2009

Easter

So the week before Easter I started to look for egg dying kits. NOTHING. I asked my mom friends at the swimming pool, and the response was "well if you want to actually paint an egg you might want to go to an art store and get some proper paints."  I started to describe egg dying kits "you know, with the little tablets that dissolve?!?" Well, it turns out they don't have them here. I was starting to get frustrated.  First no trick or treating for Halloween and now no egg dying kits?  We decided to cope by making some homemade dye. . . how hard can it be right? We made some pretty strong stuff, we guessed on the measurements and the eggs dyed in less than 5 seconds.  I was paranoid about permanently dying our clothes and the balcony so Stan and I did the actual dying while the kids picked the colors. We let the eggs dry and cleaned up so I figured it was a success with no major stains....right?
Dying brown eggs with vinegar and food coloring... couldn't find any white eggs in the store!
Olivia decorating Easter sugar cookies
The finished result!
Easter Morning, Thomas found the first egg. He started to suck on it and got dye all over...I guess I do need those egg dying kits! (All my friends in the USA  feel free to buy some egg dying kits (on sale) and mail them to me for next year k?
The girls looking for eggs in the bathroom
Thomas found one chocolate egg...but the girls took it away from him about 2 second later!
Olivia & Mary going through their candy and books and new Easter dresses.
After finding our baskets we went out into the court yard for a neighborhood Easter egg hunt in the grass. Eighteen kids came, so it was a huge success put on by the mothers group!

It was a great morning!!

5 comments:

btengelsen said...

Olivia takes the cake for her bunny ears.

Anonymous said...

You guys are so darling. I love all the fun things you guys are always doing! We miss you!

Danalisa said...

we only found brown eggs too! love the egg hunts! so great that you have other mom's there to plan with!

Angela said...

It looks like a great morning! And what a fun entry to read.

How clever to make your own egg dye, even if it didn't turn out entirely like you wanted it to.

The Francis Family said...

Your kids are adorable! We sure miss you guys! That's cool that Thomas could find Easter eggs! I hid all of them for Christian :) We miss you tons!