Tuesday 2 February 2010

Brunette

So there are some funny things that happen in Australia when it comes to me and hairdressers. I don't know if it is my accent or what but I can NEvER convey what it is that I want done...in fact it is usually the opposite. For instance, I am a blond and have been my whole life but I still get highlights done to bring out the light blond I lost during childhood. My hair is a honey blond NOT barbie blond and whenever I get highlights done I say "DO NOT MAKE ME A BARBIE DOLL" and the Asian ladies nod, smile and make me a Barbie doll (see picture below).
Ok, see the roots, honey blond in this pix...that is all I want...not too hard right?
After about 6 times wrong, I said "I want to go DARKER!" I want my hair the color of my roots (not lighter) because I don't want to have to do this all the time. I say this and no one listens to me. However this time my hairdresser was Italian (not Asian) and she said--yes, yes, dark hair is very beautiful! I am thinking, good--she understands. So, 45 minutes later I am dark dark Brunette/dark red...a little too red...almost purple red. I didn't like it but it was explained to me later that the only way to get it OUT was to use bleach on my hair to get the color out (and who knows what color my hair would be then) and then dye it on top. I opted to NOT bleach the hair but instead to experiment on a few strands to see what would happen. The result was light brown highlights to try to break up the red and I have decided it is fine...a change from blond. Stan likes it and informed me that he dated more brunettes than blonds anyway...really? Well then , the only real problem will be in three months when it grows out :-)
Note: since going brunette, my hair has lightened up a lot and I like it, the red has even faded quite a bit. I wish I had pix to show you the improvement but this is it 1 month later!

No comments: