Wednesday 3 February 2010

Little Olivia

So in case you didn't know Olivia has not been doing too well as of late. Quickly I will rewind her medical history to bring you up to date. Olivia was a pretty normal sized (7.6lbs), healthy kid when she was born. During her 12 mo check up she had a sudden drop in her growth (usually you have a positive curvilinear growth pattern) and she suddenly took a negative linear pattern...not even a small curve. Her pediatrician thought it was so weird he had her have a bone x-ray to see if she would be able to grow normally. The tests came out fine but three months after that, she had her first urinary tract infection. This was routinely investigated by a VCUG which showed she had reflux in both of her urethra's (her urine goes back up to her kidneys instead of down to her bladder), but there was no scaring on her organs so the doctors wanted to wait to see if she could grow out of it. By the time she was three she was having lots of UTI's and her reflux grade had moved from moderate to severe; not to mention she was on the strongest and most expensive (I might add) preventative medicine available, which she was taking on a daily basis.
Olivia with a UTI on her three year old birthday. Day one (grumpy face) and day two doing her (an attempted smile) IV treatment.
When she was 4 we moved to England, they took one look at her and scheduled her for an operation. It was the best medical experience I have ever had. The hospital was absolutely beautiful, the doctors were great and they gave her something (for free) that our US insurance companies had been dodging for a while, hoping she would grow out of it! At the end of the operation she no longer needed the medicine and she had no more reflux. However, she did have scarring on her left kidney due to the multiple infections while in America and the first part of England. We were Ok with this because you really only need ONE kidney and the right one was still scar free!
Everyone told me scary stories about the British medical system...I would have to say I disagree!
Only a little scaring on the left side!Right after her sting operation (almost two years later from pictures up above)

Anyway, one year later we moved to Australia and Olivia started to get infections again. We had to wait a while to get an appointment, but we were able to get hooked up with the top pediatric urologist at a private hospital in Bondi to check out the problem post operation. He ran some tests and we did some scans and found out that her right kidney is now damaged as well. Today I went in and we decided that she needs to be back on preventative medicine so she doesn't further damage her kidneys AND he is suggesting we do a re-implantation operation (where you cut off the urethra's and re-attach them to the kidneys so they drain the urine instead of shoot it back up). We are going into the hospital in one week for another consultation/ evaluation and then should be doing the pre-operation tests in two-three weeks. For this, Olivia will be under anesthetics and they will be taking a camera up her bladder, through her urethra's and into her kidneys. They will also be doing a VCUG to see if her reflux has come back.

On a side note, since all this started to happen, Olivia has not been able to gain weight. Mary is two years younger and is the same height and weighs more that Olivia does. Olivia is well below the national growth charts (weighing in at 35 lbs at 6 years old) and the ice cream, hot dogs, and protein shakes "diet" just don't seem to work. We are also working with another pediatric gastroenterologist to see if she is not absorbing her food, but that is a side hypothesis. I talked to the Doctor about Olivia's growth and he told me after we correct the reflux she should start growing again! He said he has seen small child after small child time and time again and they always start growing once the problem is corrected--so here is hoping... we should have everything done before May-keep you posted!

20 comments:

texansusan said...

Wow, I had no idea! We will definitely keep her in our prayers! What a sweet smile she has... sometimes the sweetest spirits have to go through a little more pain.

gardeniagirl said...

Eisha, that is so rough. I was a kid with the same kidney reflux problem! Back then, they put me on antibiotics for most of my life, which ruined my immune system when I got into my early teens. I did eventually grow out of it, but now when I get a UTI it automatically becomes a kidney infection. So I am glad that Olivia is getting this all taken care of while she is still young.

Amanda Bitz said...

Poor little thing! I hope all goes well with her surgery and she has a speedy recovery! Your family is in my thoughts :)

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Ohhh sweet Olivia! I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you all. I'm glad she is getting the surgery and that the doctors have had plenty success stories!
That hospital was amazing! Keep us updated!

Danalisa said...

Poor little gal!! I hope the Aussie's figure it out quick and that you are happy with the decision. We'll be praying for speedy recovery!

The Francis Family said...

You guys will be in our prayers for sure. It was so good talking to you today! I love you!

Sher Bear said...

Eisha, I didn't even know Olivia had so many medical issues. I hope all goes well with his new surgery. She will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Harry and Suzanne said...

Our sweet and beautiful little Olivia. She will be in our prayers, as you all will be, and we pray our heavenly Father guides and watches over each and every one who cares for her. Take one day at a time, and we dearly love you all. Grandpa and Grandma Tengelsen

~adelle said...

Yikes and double yikes. Sounds like you have had quite the experience so far! What a brave "little' girl. She is darling. I hope things work out well with this new procedure. For sure keep us posted. I will keep in her my prayers as well. :)

Amanda said...

Love you guys. Let us know if there is anything we can do other then pray. keep us posted on her consult.
xoxo

Thora said...

I knew Olivia was small, but I had no idea it was a medical reason. I too had only good experiences with the British medical system (although you had a lot more experiences with them). That'll be exciting after they do the operation in Australia, and she starts to grow.

Heidi said...

Poor kid. Just having all of those tests must be awful. I hope they can find a permanent solution!

go boo boo said...

Eisha! I pray all goes well with the surgery and little Olivia will recover quickly.

jean13i said...

Sweet little Olivia. I hope her kidney reflux gets healed soon. What a difficult ordeal for a six year old (and of course, her parents)...

Sidra said...

Oh! Poor little Olivia! I hope that everything goes well and she can get back to growing :) Nothing is sadder than sick kids; we will be thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Olivia is in our prayers! Wish we were there to give her a big hug!

Susan S said...

Eisha, thanks for sharing. Please know that we will be thinking good thoughts and saying many prayers for Olivia. Keep us posted on the surgery.

Crist Family said...

Alisha and Stan -
Not that I love you living so far away but it seems to be a huge blessing as far as Olivia's health care. We will keep Olivia and your family in our prayers. Sure wish we lived closer to help out more. Love you all.

cambersue said...

There is nothing worse than a sick child. it just rips my heart out to think of all her hospital/surgery/recovery time. I hope you can figure things out and that it's a long term solution.
On a side note...your christmas pictures are fantastic! We have got to come sometime to see the beaches/ride camels/ feed sharks/ scuba dive etc....
Oh, and it is so fun to have time off school or work or whatever and actually do fun things with the husband. Glad you guys enjoyed your break!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you guys. That breaks my heart. Pretty please keep us posted, you are in our prayers! Xoxo