Monday 13 December 2010

Handel's Messiah

This Saturday, Stan and I went to our first concert at the Sydney Opera house. We saw Handel's Messiah (the unabridged version- 3 hours with 3 intermissions) and I loved it! I sang part 1 in high school so the following two hours were all new to me! I especially loved a couple songs in the last part. My favorite part about the concert was that there were 2 choirs. One that sang most of the time and then when they needed to go really loud the second choir would join in and it was so loud that you would get goose bumps. The 4 soloists were excellent (Stan particularly enjoyed the alto whose voice sounded like a cello and blended so well you thought she was an instrument)!

inside the concert hall (one of 6 in the opera house)

Now you know the inside of the opera house is purple!!
During intermission 1- out on the veranda on the outside of the concert hall overlooking the harbour.

I had been holding out to go to a concert in the Opera house until my twin sister could make it out to Oz, but after 2 1/2 years the right concert came up (and at the right price--thanks to my neighbor who was singing in the choir and her discount :-) and I decided to go! Next time laura, you and me...may it be as good as La Triviata in Bozeman!

3 comments:

~adelle said...

You guys do the coolest stuff. I bet that was amazing! I love that it looks totally warm there right now. How lovely.

cambersue said...

Ohh how amazing. I hope I can go and experience that some day. What an incredible concert too...perfect way to start the Christmas season!

kathryn_swinton said...

fabulous! I wanna go too!