Friday 18 December 2009

Beetles, Bugs and Butterflies

So I have been dying to do a post about all the creepy, crawly things out here but I always forget half the bugs when I start to write something. So here is a start, titled: Beetles, Bugs and Butterflies (title taken from an episode of Charlie and Lola...but it fit so well for my blog post too!) Beetles: So there is this tree outside Olivias school with rainbow beetles on it. I don't know what they are called but they are all different colors and they are SO COOL (check out my pix). We had to take some home...I hope they are not dangerous :-)
Bugs: Cicadas! So in Australia we have cicadas every year (not every 11 or whatever it is in the east coast of the United States). They are loud and every day I can tell how hot it is by how loud they are and how frequent they screech. The first summer I heard them I thought the apartment's fire alarms were going off. I apologized to a friend for our faulty fire alarms and she was like..."hey brain-o, those are cicadas!" I plan on getting used to the sound (like the locals) but it is taking a while! Moving on....
Huntsman Spiders: yea I know they are not "bugs" but these babies (Australian Tarantula's) are quickly growing up. They are not so bad in the spring but every time I go down to the garage I see the shredded exoskeleton of a Huntsman listlessly lying around the crevasses of our car or books or boxes. I think, gross, then I think...this only means they are bigger if they had to shred that body. I used to think the name "HUNTSMAN" sounded prestigious, but now I think it sounds creepy.
Butterflies: On the last day of school Olivia found a chrysalis on the playground and it opened up. The class watched the butterfly come out before school was out and I think it was a great way to end Kindergarten! Aussie schools are year round so Olivia will be starting first grade at the end of January!

No comments: