Friday 22 June 2012

Jacob & Sadie tie the knot!

During the first two weeks in June I flew down to Utah to see my little brother Jacob get married to Sadie Wilson! 

 My trip was fun and not too busy. *=Tangents below:

*This was mostly  because I was not able to drive in Utah (Long story short: my USA drivers license expired on May 3rd, so I applied for an Australian license (since I could only renew my USA license in person....that would be in Virginia) and when I came over to rent a car I was treated as a foreign driver :-)  This usually only means you pay a higher rental fee....so long as your foreign license is at least 12 months old...my foreign license was month old so I was not allowed to rent a car. Regardless of the fact that I had been driving half my life....in the USA...

The first day I got in I slept in, got a *massage with my little sister and went shopping at the Park City outlets! As always I am shocked when I see how inexpensive America is (Yes, I even feel like I am getting a deal at the airport!) and finished the day off with a casual dinner with my new Sister in-laws side of the family up provo canyon! It was beautiful and brought back a lot of memories of BYU.

*I got a massage because my flight (which should only be about 17 hours of flying) was 36 hours travel time. I HATE United.... I had booked a really nice flight and was informed two weeks before that my ticket had been changed. The changes had connecting flights leaving over a day before my initial flights...makes it kind of hard to catch :-) When we called to ask about this they said they couldn't change it because they were merging with another airlines and their computers were down.  When they did change it (2 days before the flight) I was sent from Melbourne to Sydney (2 hour flight + 2 hour lay over), Sydney to LA (14 hour flight + 5 hour layover) LA to San Fran (1 hour flight + 7 hour lay over) and then San Fran to SLC (2 hour flight).  I thought about complaining- but the LAST thing I want is a free ticket...then I would have to fly with them again and it is NOT worth it!

The next day (Thursday) I went out for lunch with my family to celebrate my little brothers graduation (Ben graduated in Economics from BYU and is going on to do his Ph.D in Carnegie Mellon, located in Pa).
  We had lunch, and then went mini-golfing! 

After golf the girls went to get their nails done before the wedding (this was my FIRST time ever in a nail salon).

The next day (Friday) was the wedding! 







Jake and Sadie were married in the Salt Lake City Temple and had their luncheon at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. It was a great dinner and two hours later we went to the reception....there was dancing and singing and a lots of pie!

After the reception I hung out with my little brother (Daniel) and his wife Katie and then stayed over her parents place in Alpine.  In the morning I went on a hike with my brother (best part of my trip, thanks Dan!) and then went to a baby shower for two of my sister-in-laws (Katie- below) and Laura (who graduated with Ben), and my twin sister Laura (all pregnant...actually Twin Laura JUST had her baby!)
Katie, due in July!
My dad and Baby Jonah...almost 1month old
I am pretty sure they liked my present the best!
...Seriously, who wouldn't want a puzzle featuring Australian food? http://www.makemeiconic.com/
Earlier that morning my little sister Shannon ran her first marathon- the SLC marathon (crazy) --She did awesome!  After the baby shower, I hung out with my little brother Ben and his wife at their place in Lehi.

Sunday morning I got in a quick visit with three people. First the Towers (my sister-in-law) and her family who live in Lehi, then the Bartons (who live in American Fork)- they were my neighbors during my childhood, and then the Bennions (who live right next to the Bartons) and were our friends at BYU and then in Sydney (they came down for a year while we were there for 4 years). It was great to see everyone and I was so in love with the weather (summer vs. winter in Australia).  

Monday I hung out with my mom, went shopping for maternity clothes with my sister-in-laws and got in some cheese cake factory!!

Tuesday I visited Millie Flamm at the Primary Children's hospital before I caught my flight out to Australia.--I will write another post about that but she is darling and doing well!

I had a great time and Congrats Jake & Sadie!! Love you both!-

1 comment:

Harry and Suzanne said...

Thanks sooooooo much for sharing these beautiful pictures! It broke our hearts we could not be there, and it also broke our hearts we could not spend some "alone" time with you.