Wednesday 2 April 2014

Halloween!

This year for Halloween Stan was up in Kuala Lumpar (Malaysia) for a quick business trip. He was sad  to miss it, as he was only gone for three days, but those three days overlapped with Halloween. This meant, that I needed to take the kids trick-or-treating 16 days post operation.

I am not going to lie, I had a lot of people doing double takes (I am sure they were thinking, 'is that a mask or her face?) Then someone finally did ask...and I was like "Nope...It's not a mask.... (then the long awkward silence) with me trying to flex my smiling muscles with my mouth wired shut...not pretty :-)

In the name of going the extra mile, I also arranged to come into my kids classrooms  (to Olivia's horror) to do a 1 hour presentation on Halloween. I was quite proud of myself. I researched how Halloween is celebrated throughout the world. I learned that France and Australia are the only two countries in the world that fail to celebrate Halloween. I showed the class what a Jack-o-lantern looks like and told them the history behind it. I brought in apples in a bucket and had them try bobbing for apples. We also tried donuts on a string and then the classic ghosts made with lollipops and tissue (then you draw the face on them). Everyone thought I was a genius which I got quite a kick out of.


Since I was talking funny I just had to tell the class in the beginning that I had just had an operation and while my mouth was wired shut I had just had it loosened so I could talk a little bit. I had one little girl walk up to me and tell me that her class had just learned about "not staring at people" I was like "that is nice...." and then she walked off :-)
This year we probably got about 20 pieces of candy after trick-or-treating for an hour or two. It was cold weather so people were not up to the trek. We did have a lot of trick-or-treaters at our house. We live on a pretty busy main road and this year we decorated very well so everyone was pulling over to ring our door bell. Olivia loved it and would wait by the door to hand out candy. We also passed out announcements to our neighbors explaining Halloween and telling them when to expect trick-or-treaters. I don't think people bothered reading the announcement because while we were handing them out people started handing my kids candy. I was like 'tell them Halloween is not TODAY' but my kids kept getting candy (even without a costume).
Either way- Happy Halloween!

No comments: