Thursday 24 September 2009

Sydney Dust Storm

So this morning I woke up to Thomas crying at 5:30 am. I figured it was just an early morning compared to his 6:00am wake ups. I opened the blinds and saw this thick bright red fog everywhere--I could not see more than 20 feet outside our window. I thought it was fog and the sunset was reflecting off the clouds in a way I had never experienced before....but then when I came out to the main living room (where we had slept with the window open) I realized it was more than fog. It was SAND and it was all over the carpet, couch, walls and even into the kitchen. Apparently we had been hit by a sand storm--think of Wall-e (but the wind wasn't as strong)!
I went through the house and opened the blinds, and the color outside just reflected inside off the walls--so everything was red/ orange. Even with the lights on in the inside, the light in the house did not change much--it was just dark red.

Everyone just stayed inside and went to work/ school late. It was kind of peaceful in an weird way. By 8:00am it had subsided to an orange cloud and by 10:00am to a yellow cloud and the winds had died down. It was blue skies again by the afternoon. Crazy hu?!?
Above is a picture of the Sydney Opera house, and at the top is the Harbour Bridge!

5 comments:

The Francis Family said...

Whoa! I am glad you are all okay! I'm sure it wasn't much fun cleaning up either! Sorry Eish!

Harry and Suzanne said...

WOW! PRETTY SCARY! Wish we were there to help you clean up.

Amanda said...

That NUTS

breena rae said...

yikes that crazy! wouldn't want to be out during that!

Danalisa said...

That is CRAZY!