Monday 14 September 2009

Sydney Fish Market


So this weekend we went to the Sydney Fish Market. It is right on the outskirts of the city in Pyrmont once you cross over the Anzac Bridge. In Sydney there are two big bridges, the Anzac and the Harbor bridge, and they pretty much get you in and out of the business district of Sydney. Anyway, I was expecting fish throwing and a Seattle fishy experience...I have to say I was a little disappointed. It was not meant for tourists, but for people who really want to buy fresh fish. It was more like a indoor market place with a fish stench. There were a ton of fresh HUGE ocean trout and lots of restaurants you could eat at. Since I took one look and thought I wouldn't be coming back we went in and out of all the stores and sampled some of the seafood. (I have no idea why this is underlined!)
Little baby octopus!
This picture doesn't do the fish justice--these are about the length of my arm!
Thomas checking out the lobster tanks...there were about 8
The discarded fish heads and tails....GROOOOSE

and me holding up a shrimp the length of my hand! As far as seafood goes Stan can eat it all (even uncooked) and I can eat Salmon, lobster, crab and usually shrimp...but nothing else and it has to be cooked and seasoned. For some reason I gaged on this shrimp--the little legs just got to me!

Note: I am pretty sure the people who wrote NEMO got their Seagull idea (mine? mine?) from the Sydney Fish Market. They were everywhere and would attack people who were eating by the hoards. Stan went to take the girls to the bathroom and the birds noticed some people leaving and came for our table (where Thomas and I were) and I just grabbed the stroller and ran. It is like nothing I have ever seen before!

4 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

Wow, that's amazing. I think my kids would like that place. They are fascinated by the lobster tank at Red Lobster.

The Francis Family said...

That's so cool Eish! That shrimp looked huge! We miss you guys!

Kathy said...

That's looks cool.
I totally don't mind the questions- I ask people stuff all the time. :) I make the collages in Picasa. I just downloaded and then played around with it. Let me know if you need any help.

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

So I totally jumped off of the blog bandwagon this last month! Is your blog public now? Your pictures are amazing and I wish we could come visit! Maybe we will be able to afford it in ten years:)I also HATE seagulls! I was once sitting on the beach and had a seagull rip an entire turkey club sandwich out of my hands just has I was about to It take a bite! I've been bitten several times by them stealing food out of my hands.
I also meant to respond to you about our house- you're right, we were so blessed! It was a nightmare trying to find a descent house with good schools in this area. We still can't believe that everything worked out with this one.

Keep on enjoying Australia for us!