Friday 3 September 2010

Book Week

So in the USA we have Halloween where the kids get to dress up in costumes and go to school. It is an exciting and fun holiday that I really looked forward to as a child. After moving to England and and then Australia and learning that Halloween is not nearly the pomp and circumstance of the USA I was a bit disappointed that my kids were missing out on something. However, in both England and Australia the schools participate in book parades. You bring a book to school and dress up as a book character. Parents can come for half day and the kids do a parade, share morning tea with their parents and then go to the library to purchase a new book which you donate to the school. The library gets tons of new books each year. In addition a week before book parade events take place the whole week; this is called book week. There is a coloring competition with awards, authors sighing of new children's books, and a read-a thon.

This year for Olivia's book character she wanted to go a Tinker Bell. I wanted her to go as the paper bag princess but she wouldn't have it. This difference in opinion left me with 4 days to find a tinker bell costume. Most costumes online are $60-70.00 + shipping from the USA and there is no way I could get it in time. This left me with one option...to make it!
I am domestically challenged but since I can sew a straight line I figured that is all I really needed to do right? I bought a meter of material for $5.00 and some wings for $6.00 and some sequence for $7.00 (this material (except the wings) actually made two costumes so Mary was happy too. I pulled a dress from the girls closet, traced it, cut it out, and sewed it together along the sides. It was a bit snug since I didn't make room for the sides to be sewn together. In addition, if I wash it, I am sure it will unravel since I didn't hem where the sequence is (that was a pain) but overall a huge success for my limited skills and all done in about 2 hours
This is where I should have stopped. I was so proud of my efforts that I decided to make Mary one too. I spent a day on her dress and then finally cut off the top, threw it away, and gave her some sequenced straps and said, "your dress is done!" I borrowed my neighbors sewing machine which is ancient and hadn't been used in 15 years and it would get caught every 5 stitches. I did bring my sewing machine over from the USA, but due to the electricity voltage difference when I put my foot on the pedal it would go into hyper speed and eventually it started smoking and now no longer works. I used it once for about 5 minutes (yes, with a plug converter) and now it is taking up space in my closet. I would probably have to bring it back to the USA to get it fixed...anyway, I am not a sewer but here's to BOOK WEEK!
Olivia with the Principal Mrs. Pike
Some of her friends from year 1
Thomas LOVES buzz light year!

Except for the rain (which rained out the parade) and the power outage, which killed the lights and microphone Olivia did a smashing impersonation of Tink! It was the perfect end to a busy week! :-)

7 comments:

Harry and Suzanne said...

What an adorable Tinker Bell Olivia made, and what a cute outfit you made Alisha. What we do for our kids and we love every minute of it. Alisha, do you remember the bird outfit?

Unknown said...

so impressed with your mad sewing skills--what a Mom!!!

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Good work! I don't think I could have pulled that off! I brought Halloween costumes for the kids, but we won't be able to get them until we move into our permanent housing...which will be on November 1st!

Harry and Suzanne said...

Hi Olivia,
You are the cutest Tinker Bell we have ever seen!!

Susan S said...

Congrats on the cute costume. She looks darling.

Amanda said...

Only you. I am so impressed. Love the dress.

Danalisa said...

that is amazing! well done super-mom!