Thursday 2 September 2010

bye bye Ben

So Ben (my little brother) finished his 8 week summer ( I mean winter) internship at PWC a few weeks ago. I had to take him to the airport to drop him off. I was so sad. After my moms wedding it was so good to have family around to "vent" with. While I think he liked staying with us, I think he had more fun with the other single college kids from around the area.

The last week he played hooky and went up to the Great Barrier Reef with two other guys. They stayed in hostiles (backpackers hotels) and hit up some beautiful beaches--wish I had pictures. They even got to scuba dive the reef (which is a must). I am so jealous. I have never even been up to Queensland and I have lived in this country for 2 years! He even got a tan (as Sydney is cold and rainy this time of year).
Anyway, here is a picture of him getting on the plane (we are sad)! Overall, it was awesome having another adult around the house to help put the kids to bed, and to bbs and to talk too. I wish I had stayed up late to talk and play more games with Ben but I would always fall asleep while trying to put the kids to sleep. It was fun showing him around and I can't wait for someone else to visit. The best part was our consolation prize...Ben's (er, I mean Jake's) old guitar which Ben couldn't get back on the plane. Good thing Jake is on a mission...I have no idea how he is going to get it back (hahahahaha). Stan plays it about once a week and had been asking for one for over a year. I just didn't think he would play it nor did I know he could play.

The funniest part about Ben's stay would probably be Mary's (4 yrs) reaction to the whole thing. Once Ben shut the door on Mary's foot (she never got over it) from them on she was praying (out loud) for Ben to leave and asking me on a daily basis how many more days until uncle Ben is GONE. Ben tried to be nice and would ask her things but she would usually reply that he wasn't invited to her birthday party. Ben liked to talk in rhymes which Mary didn't know how to react too, and Mary liked to throw temper tantrums which Ben didn't know how to react too. Either way the whole situation was amusing!

3 comments:

cambersue said...

that's so fun he could stay for awhile. I would love to have someone a little closer. I think it's absolutely hilarious Mary was ready for him to go the second he got there...It's always entertaining what they come up with:) hahah

Harry and Suzanne said...

What amazing memories! Glad you had Ben there for awhile. Family is precious. Now, hopefully we will get to spend some time with Ben too!

Amanda said...

Sad, I'm sure you loved having him with you.